Thursday 26 February 2009

Tell me, how can I be free?

When you write these blogs, you get a little "title" box to fill in above the main post - I never fill it in 'til after I've finished writing the post, because I never know what I'm going to end up writing about. I wonder what it will be today.

Well, I just got back from a talk arranged by a guy who's starting up a journalism society here, he got a Guardian journalist named Nick Davies in for a very, very interesting talk on corruption in the media, particularly newspapers. I won't go into detail because I wouldn't be able to do justice to the guy, but I will say that after listening to him talk, I definitely want to read his book. And perhaps consider a career in journalism, out of a vain desire to promote "the truth" and change the world a little. (Ha. Like I'm ever going to be motivated and efficient enough... Sigh.)

So that was the latest little thing I've tried as part of my vague effort to "do" things and experience life and uni, instead of just drifting through these important years of my life stuck in my own little world within my mind. I thought, it won't be forever that I'll have the opportunity to go and listen to these interesting speakers from around the country and world, so maybe I should start going to more of these public talks. There was only about 20 people attending, so plenty of space and time to ask questions and get inspired.

I'm waiting to hear back from URF, our student radio station, about getting a slot for a Saturday show. So hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be on air. This may or may not lead to fail, but it won't be an epic fail, because no-one really listens to the student radio anyway, especially not on Saturdays. But it's something fun to do, right?

I guess I should be working on my Philsophy essay right now, but it's quite hard and boring, and I haven't updated this blog for a while. Also, I started feeling a bit... meh... so I thought "quick, quick, do something, anything, before you get sucked into the big black wormhole of suckiness and then nothing gets done for a whole week!" So writing this blog is temporarily postponing a fight with my own head :-) Ah, the joys of being insane.

Some people punch a pillow, get drunk, or have a lengthy chat with Dr. Quack, I just write on my blog. Yeah, it is public, but I've always been an attention seeking drama queen, what's wrong with the world having access to some of my craziness? If you ever have a shortage of madness, you know where to come.

Am I being a boring person at the moment? I want to be one of those people who make the lives of everyone around them more exciting, but its not quite happening that much at the moment. I can be like that, but I don't get the opportunity much when I'm poor, stuck indoors, and bogged down with essays and assignments. I want to do something crazy and fun! I want to be unleashed from my cage!

How can I do this? I feel like I have to get out of the country to be free - but I'm poor so I can't. How can I be free? How can I get more from life... without giving all my money to The Man?

There are all sorts of little things I sometimes wish I could do, things that make me happy, small release. Swimming (even though I'm not a good swimmer), dancing on a sandy beach, watching the sun rise, riding my bike along the seafront and feeling the wind in my hair, dancing anywhere, doing a handstand, going on a rollercoaster, listening to music while doing all these things...

Well, it's nearly the end of winter anyway - good thing too.

I need to do amazing things, I swear it, I have to. I want to go round the world and flash everyone a smile - that way, even if I don't change anything, at least a good few people will have seen one extra smile in their lifetime.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Almost the end of winter - and today it really is "sunny" Sussex =D

Rebekah said...

:-)